Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Light Up The Town!

I'm sure I've come across thousands of examples of neon typography before I started this type hunt, but something had now sparked my curiosity. So after tons of encounters with neons that barely dared to step outside of the box, I was on the hunt for something more unique- my curiousity led me to this unique neon sign for a honky-tonk music hot spot in Nashville, TN, called The Stage. This really caught my eye, it may be the juxtaposition of the flashy neon lights and the down to earth feeling of the wood and barbed wire that are incorporated into the sign. One thing I found interesting was that the letters are outlined by the lights and filled in with a "faux board" look, portraying more depth than your normal neon sign advertising cocktails. Also, the letters of "STAGE" don't have perfectly shaped letters like many neon signs do, (compare with the "on broadway" below the sign)...these more rugged feeling letters really capture the look and feel of the venue- a honky tonk country music club, I don't think this sign would be able to achieve quite the same effect without the neon, it makes for a very effective, unique and eye-catching sign!
I found this display of the alphabet, I think it's interesting to see how many variations of each letter can be created with neon lights, there are always choices in typography! Even if you're writing with lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment